On Wednesday, January 31, 2024, Office of the City of Yokohama Representative to Southeast and South Asia participated in Thailand’s first 5G Autonomous Electric Bus launch ceremony held at Krungsri River Hotel in Ayutthaya, Thailand.
The bus was developed by King Mongkut’s University of Technology and Turnkey Communication Service Corporation, as well as various companies and supporting organizations, with essential software components being provided by Macnica Cytech Co., Ltd., a Yokohama-based company.
In addition to the opening ceremony, which included greetings from various companies involved in autonomous bus operation, the Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, and local government officials, participants had the chance to actually get on the autonomous electric bus and ride along its route. The steering wheel rotates automatically as the bus navigates using three core technologies: sensor, radar, and GPS, providing riders a smooth driving experience.
Features of the 5G autonomous electric bus:
- Operation route: Approximately 2.8km around Ayutthaya Historical Park (including 4 passenger pick-up points)
- Riding method: Advance reservation required (Through the “5G Auto Bus” app)
- Free operation period: Every Friday to Tuesday until July 1st
- Operating hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Vehicle speed: approx. 30km/h
- Autonomous driving level 3 (safety driver on board)
This event marks a major step towards the development and practical application of autonomous technology in Thailand, and safe and comfortable autonomous electric buses are expected to alleviate traffic congestion, reduce environmental impact, and contribute to new innovations.